Yes I love books and here is a review and recommendation for one of my all time favorites. I already mentioned this book in one of my first blog post, so if you think I’m repeating myself a bit then you are right. First of all I strongly recommend this book to everyone who want to be the best edition of themselves and live a high quality life. (Honestly does anyone NOT want this?). Therefore I will now tell you why to read it.
About the book in general:
Stephen R. Covey has written this book in such a way that it feels like he is opening the chamber of truth for you. This truth will help you a whole lot if you are open to it. He does not give you the list of answers like when someone cheats in a test. He rather gives you the toolbox to find these answers yourself, which is much longer lasting and gives you greater power. In the book there is plenty of examples, diagrams and detailed explanations in order to understand each habit and how they work together and compliment each other. The habits are split in to 3 parts: Personal victory, public victory and renewal. Before he dives in to each habit he explains how you have to master them one part at a time. The process of developing from a dependant to an independent and then finally an interdependent person is described. He does not only tell you how you can change to the better, he also motivate you to do so!
About the habits:
- BE PROACTIVE: Act instead of being acted upon. Take initiative. You are in charge of your life. Expand your circle of influence.
- BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND: Realise who you want to be. Write a mission statement, set goals according to it and then plan how to reach them.
- PUT FIRST THINGS FIRST: Focus on what’s important, not urgent activities and invest time in them, without neglecting whats important and urgent.
- THINK WIN/WIN: No one needs to lose, everyone can win if you set your mind to it.
- SEEK FIRST TO UNDERSTAND THEN TO BE UNDERSTOOD: Listen before and more than you speak.
- SYNERGIZE: Work together to reach better results for both.
- SHARPEN THE SAW: Renew and improve yourself physically, socially/emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
If you have read the book, please share your thoughts about it here. If you have any questions about it, please don’t hesitate to ask.